To avoid rework before the first trench is even in the ground, get Subsurface Water Management involved in the early design phase. We can provide design plans that are based on proven project success and modern best practice, rather than a textbook article from last century. Subsoil drainage is sometimes treated as an afterthought when it comprises part of a larger project. As a result, designers who don’t specialise in this field use obsolete drainage techniques. Not only do our designs outperform and outlast traditional designs, but the low cost often comes as an unexpected win.
Through years of experience, Subsurface Water Management has developed a successful and efficient project methodology. This is outlined in brief below.
- Analyse soil
- SWM has a deep knowledge of local soil types; this is a key input to design
- Verify elevations
- Confirm environmentally sound disposal of harvested water
- Assess hydraulic conductivity
- Inputs from site visit determine drain spacing and direction as well as material selection (piping, aggregate, geofabrics – if required)
- Drafted plans
- Firm pricing with very few assumptions or risks
- Well established sourcing, few assumptions and lean project execution methodology allow for highly competitive pricing
- Draincoil is installed to precision laser grade, in a single-pass by a Mastenbroek drainange machine with aggregate bedding fed simultaneously from a chaser bin. There are many benefits to this approach:
- Trench collapsing is not an issue in the single-pass process. This means work can be conducted year round – even when soil is completely water logged
- Due to the continuous nature of pouring aggregate and laying pipe, the levels are consistent and correct along the entire trench. There is no mounding as aggregate is not introduced in buckets
- Through precision work and basic maintenance, these drainage systems last for decades
- For sports turf installations, where the surface integrity is important, turf can be harvested and then replaced after drain installation